Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day

It's finally here, the day the world's been waiting for. Why is our election cycle so long?!? Anyway, Rudy pointed to a very interesting article (or blog, I don't remember which) on our election from the standpoint of Iraqis. There was a huge article over here that probably had the biggest impact on my thinking about the election. I don't agree with or believe everything they guy wrote, but it was an interesting article. Anyway, I'm far from being a Bush fan, but no one has been able to convince me that anything about Kerry is good in any way. The guy scares me. So, today will be a vote against Kerry, not a vote for Bush.

On another note, there's been a ton of talk about electronic voting. There's another idea that's scary. I don't mind so much if there is a paper trail, but with no paper trail, I honestly question whether I'd vote. Here in Rockford we have electronic scanning so that the counts go fast, but we do the voting on paper. I trust that system. It's pretty easy to do and they are very good about saying that if you make a mistake to tear up your ballot thoroughly and get a new one. That's how it ought to be done!

Finally, our church is doing something VERY cool. Anyone can drop off their small kids between 10:30 and noon for "voting childcare." Jill and I will take our boys with us, as we believe that its important for them to see us vote, but I can imagine a mom with six kids not wanting to take all of them, so I think its a great idea. Besides, I think our church is a voting location, so people who are just coming to vote can take advantage of it and get to see a little bit of our church's love for kids. If that brings one or two families, or lots more than that, who wouldn't have otherwise come, that's yet another cool thing.

Anyway, get out and vote today. If you don't vote, don't complain (and if you do, don't complain much, because you obviously didn't convince enough people!)!