Tuesday, January 11, 2005

SteveNote

While Mac lovers the world over were glued to the internet (or, if you were like Sven, glued to the stage at the Moscone Center), I was trying to uninstall a virus manually. Symantec's Anti-Virus kept leaving it in place. Ugh.

So, what were my thoughts several hours after the SteveNote?

Mac Mini--I want one. Actually, we'll probably get a barebones low end version for the kids and continue to use our eMac as the main computer, but that is an AWESOME computer.

iPod Shuffle--No thanks, I'd rather just get a 20 gb once. Who knows, maybe I'll see the benefit someday, but for now, not really.

iWork--I haven't looked at it much, but it looks more like a page layout and presentation software than an office suite. I'm glad, as it's less likely to tick Microsoft off. Unlike many Mac lovers, I actually like MS Office. Actually, like a lot of reviewers, I like the Mac version of Office more than the Windows version. The Project Center ROCKS! Granted, there are TONS of features that I'll never use, nor will I miss using them, but, for what I need to do, it does a great job. I'm far more into the Excel end of things than Word, so if iWork was supposed to make me drop Office, there's no way. I don't think it is designed to do that though, and, from what I've seen, it does a great job of page layout. For more thoughts along those lines, check this out.

iLife '05--When iLife '04 came out, I got it. I wanted it and I love it. I really don't see enough in the '05 version to make me go out and buy it. I understand that iPhoto has a lot more editing capability, but I'm just not to the point where I want/need that enough to put out the bucks. I already have the iTunes upgrade that would be included there, and the other software is doing a great job for me.

Well, those are my thoughts on the main SteveNote announcements (at least, those that apply to me). Not having an HD digital camcorder, I'm just not ready to even discuss the HD announcements today. All in all, though, I'm excited. Once we finish up the last payout on our house, we'll be plunking down some change at the Apple store!