Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Train Guys


The Train Guys
Originally uploaded by A Bob's Life in Pictures.
Today we took the boys into the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. That place has always been my favorite museum. There is nothing that I've ever seen that even comes close to it. Here we're checking out the model railroad display. The museum has a model railroad that captures what the trip from Chicago to Seattle is like by train. Throw in the scale size versions of the Sears Tower and the Space Needle (which is on the very right edge of this picture), and it is an amazing layout. I have to confess that I was very disappointed with my photos. I probably should have taken the camera off of Automatic so that I could focus it myself, but I didn't think about it at the time. There was too much distance and too little light for the camera to get good shots.

Nonetheless, we had an outstanding day. The boys were awesome all day, not even getting grumpy when their usual nap times came around! We didn't see nearly as much of the museum as I would have liked, but that was ok. A lot of it is way beyond our boys' ages anyway. Seeing the massive train layout, the old steam engine (which held the world speed record in 1893), the Boeing 727 hanging from the ceiling, checking out the robot display, the farm equipment, the baby chicks hatching, the play area for young children, the circus display, the aircraft carrier display, and the Pioneer Zephyr (a full size, full length actual train) was enough for a 3 year old and a 2 year old. When they get older we'll go down in the mine shaft, tour the German U-boat from WWII, and do all the stuff that I loved doing when I was a kid!