Saturday, December 24, 2005

Bob Does Linux

Yep, I've fired up two computers using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is supposed to be one of the easiest versions of Linux out there. While it is certainly workable, I am not convinced that it is easy to set up. My experience is that once a setup works, don't change anything!! Having said that, I can't say that I'm a big fan. I'll use it for computers that I set up for the sole purpose of Folding@Home. After all, it is free. If all I want to use a computer for is basic email and web surfing, it sure beats paying $100 for Windows. It's even better if I'm just going to use it for Folding for Team Mac OS X. All in all, I've now got two computers Folding with Linux down in my basement. It works faster than Windows 98, which isn't a big surprise, since Linux is reputed to be faster than Windows in general. In my case, I've got two computers with the same processor to compare, so I can say that Folding is faster in Linux than Win98.

If you don't know about Folding, it is a project from Stanford that uses your computer for scientific research into protein folding. Protein folding plays a role in some types of cancer, Alzheimers, Parkinson's, and more. Please check it out, and sign up for Team Mac OS X (Team # 1971).