Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Day in the Life of...

Had a busy morning, full of meetings. I went to lunch with a board member and we got to talking about a possible state law that we'd like to see written. Got back to the office and fired off an email to an attorney-friend with a passion for that sort of thing. We'll see what happens. We also talked about going to law school over lunch. My attorney-friend encouraged me to do that the last time we were together. I'm not so sure. I've certainly got enough going on right now. She's a bit of a rabble-rouser, and I could definitely see a law degree getting me into trouble someday too! As she puts it, "It's a license to raise hell." She does that pretty well. There'd be some serious stuff coming down the pike if my attorney-friend, board member, and I all had law degrees. We already have the potential of creating mischief if we really want. Speaking of which...

We're looking at getting a group of folks together in Chicago to have a long conversation about affordable housing issues. Should be a great time. The only problem? It probably won't happen until May, when I'm in for a meeting. I'm hoping that the three of us mentioned above, as well as one other would be there. We're thinking a couple hours over lunch, but I could easily see it lasting longer if no one has other appointments to get to. There's too much to talk about. Governments to overthrow, that sort of thing. Yup, its the sort of conversation that could get out of hand and unrealistic, but at the same time, there's some serious potential for good to come out of it.

Speaking of good to come out of it, the local paper is working on a story regarding foreclosures. They're looking for someone who'd be willing to step up and talk about their own experience. Instead they're getting a lot of calls from people with questionable motives. Folks who look for pre-foreclosure sales or who track foreclosures nationwide so shady characters can prey on people who are in a desperate financial situation (I'm sure that's not why they track the foreclosures, but that's the result). The writer got our name from a legitimate source, and has seemed to be impressed with the knowledge that our office has about the situation. We ought to have it, we deal with it every day.