Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The Excellence of Love

Charles Woodward has an excellent article over at The Ooze. It really hit home recently given a bunch of stuff going on at church. The primary focus is on the importance that Love should play in all of our interactions. Too often we get stuck on our programs, plans, evil plans to save the world...you know, all the stuff that requires time but no real human interaction. But Paul writes at the end of I Corinthians 12, "Now I will show you the most excellent way." He then launches into what is commonly known as 'The Love Chapter.' Probably the last time you heard someone read from I Cor. 13 was the last time you attended a wedding. It's sweet and sappy and just what the newlyweds ordered. Actually it's hard-hitting and an important reminder about what is important in life. I've sat in meetings where I have argued fervently for something that I (still) truly believe is important, but I was doing it all wrong! I was the banging gong and clanging cymbal!

Woodward looks at the huge emphasis on leadership in the church. I know my church has been talking about leadership for a decade at least. Woodward's point is that the discussion is misplaced! Our purpose should be the demonstration of love! Forget all the programs and plans, the easiest way to bring people into a relationship with Christ is through...Love! I can have all the right theology, all the right beliefs, all the right prayers, all the right songs, the world's greatest pastor, the most effective Sunday school teacher, and on and on and on..., but all of it is worthless without love. Why aren't churches growing? Because we only read I Cor. 13 at weddings.