Sunday, October 10, 2004

Sunday Morning

I had a typical Sunday morning at church today. I sat in the class that I had taught for the last four weeks as my dear friend Rolf talked about the importance of preparing for the last years of life. Since he's closing in on 80, he was an easy choice for me to ask about teaching this. I then went into Rolf's class, as I always do, to do the prayer and Scripture reading. I always enjoy doing this, but it means that the only thing I'm in the main service for is the sermon. Pastor John preached from I Timothy 6 on the importance of generosity. It was an outstanding message on stewardship that would not have been offensive to visitors. Pastor John has a great way of addressing issues that some find offensive without offending. Sometimes sermons are offensive because pastors stray too far from the text. Pastor John is pretty tight in that. He doesn't get too far away from the Word.

After church we had our usual discussion with Jill's folks about where to go for lunch. We'd been going to a nearby Arby's most of the summer, but they no longer have the chicken sandwich that Nathan can eat (he can't eat breaded meat due to his wheat allergy). I hate going to crowded restaurants, especially on Sunday, and that Arby's was rarely even close to full. Today we went to Beef-A-Roo (yeah, if you're not from Rockford, it's a real place...actually a GREAT fast food restaurant). It filled up very quickly after we got there, but by that time we were seated and eating.

The rest of the family is currently napping. I got mine in early, so I'm back up and functional. It's now time for me to get Jill up. She hasn't started her Bible study for the week yet, so she asked me to get her up so she can work on it. I've got to complete my annual report on behalf of the elders, so we've both got work to do this afternoon.