Thursday, November 04, 2004

Ads are a part of life?

It seems that the whole technology sector is divided into three groups, the security group (in large part due to Microsoft's shoddy Windows operating system), the "get the message out" group, and the "turn off the tv" group. In other words, some people are just trying to keep your computers safe (I say "your computers" because I have a Mac and don't need Adaware, Spybot, anti-virus, etc.). Some people are trying to invade your life with advertising, and some are trying to get rid of audio and visual pollution. I think if I had to buy a product, it'd be the TV-B-Gone! There are some restaurants that I simply hate eating at because of what I have seen on the nearby TV (can you say Ruby Tuesdays?). The idea of injecting ads into video games is fine by me, I don't play them anyway. The sad thing is that advertisers have long used the arguement that we'd have to pay for tv (or internet, or whatever) without advertising. It seems that some of the new advertising won't be saving anyone any money. It'll just be there for manipulation.