Monday, November 29, 2004

Folding @ Home

I've joined Team MacOSX in the Folding@Home project. This is a project in Distributed Computing. Stanford University is using this to study the folding of proteins in their effort to fight disease. My team's homepage can be found here. The project uses my computer, taking up inactive processor cycles so that it doesn't interfere with my computer usage. In other words, my computer is working at full capacity all the time, but how much of the capacity is going to Stanford's study of proteins varies by how much I am using my computer at any given time. I've got my computer at work going at it too, now, so I'm hoping to score pretty well as time goes by. Of course, I have relatively weak computers, so it'll take two computers working for me to equal on good computer. Ah well, it's for a good cause, so a little bit is better than nothing.