Friday, July 01, 2005

Podcasting Takes Off

Earlier this week Apple released iTunes 4.9 with the ability to download Podcasts quickly and easily. It seems that the Podcasting world wasn't ready yet. Scoble's right. Anyone with a computer and a microphone can create a Podcast, so there's a ton of them out there. I started searching through the offerings yesterday via iTunes. There are a ton of churches that are releasing their services via Podcasting. I must confess that the couple I listened to briefly were not worth recording. A hint to the world...if you're going to Podcast, make sure you actually sound like you're on the radio. Be enthusiastic. Be happy. I don't want to hear you drone on, and no one else does either. If you're going to drone, you'd better have some incredible material, like how to have a million dollars deposited into your bank account guaranteed! If its not that good, don't drone!

I'll also go out on a limb and say that I think this is a bit more of a fad than blogging. I'm really not interested in reruns of NPR shows, or any other radio shows out there. I don't watch TV reruns, why would I want radio reruns?!? When will I have time to listen to them anyway? By the time I listen to them, they'll be OLD news anyway. I didn't subscribe to any Podcasts yesterday. All the servers that are going down due to demand will find themselves with plenty of bandwidth in the not-so-distant future. There will be people who will really get into this, but I'd guess that for most people, they're just experimenting and will go away after a while.