Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Day of Hard Labor

Well, almost. I was asked by my board president if I wanted to earn a little extra money. His business had sold one of their buildings and they needed to move 30,000 files into several semi trailers. I had a hard time conceptualizing 30,000 files. I don't anymore. Take a 6 car garage, and fill it with files that are standing up on their edge. Fill it completely full. Now, you only have about 3,000 files that you couldn't fit. Or, better yet, fill 3 semi trailers that are 45 feet long with five rows of files. Then fill 2 more semi trailers that are 48 feet long with six rows of files. Now you only have about a thousand files left over. Needless to say, I was stiff last night.

My brother came out and helped as well. All in all, about 20 people worked for 6+ hours to fill those five semi trailers. I learned something. Young people are more agile than their parents. They also don't work very efficiently. Good thing they're more agile. They'd really be hurting if they worked inefficiently and were older.