Monday, January 09, 2006

One Issue Voters

We've all heard the complaints that one group or another is a "one issue vote" bloc. Usually that charge is aimed at politically conservative evangelicals and the issue referred to is abortion. I've pretty much quit following politics as I've gotten tired of the noise. Today I was working out and upon returning home I heard that the nomination hearings for Judge Alito are supposed to begin today, though they don't expect any questions to be asked of the nominee due to a Democratic filibuster. I decided to make sure it wasn't just the news I heard on the radio talking about abortion, so I checked the New York Times to see what they had to say. Sure enough, the issue seems to be one of abortion. Nearly the entire first page focused on that issue alone.

What do we learn from this? Abortion is the only issue of importance, and Senate Democrats are one issue voters. Or, at least, that's what the media wants us to believe. Personally, I think there are a lot of important issues facing this country, some of which are of importance to a Supreme Court nominee. Maybe the issues discussed in the media should reflect that. I've always been of the belief that having fair-minded intelligent people is more important than having partisan hacks. I just wish the politicians on both sides of the aisle would agree with me.

And now, back to the noise.