Friday, October 15, 2004

Media Center?

There's been lots of tech talk this week about Microsoft's new Windows Media Center operating system. We are all very excited about watching tv on our computer monitors, right? Oh yeah, that's why its been a terrible selling product for the last couple years. Rather than telling us what we want to do with our computers, perhaps Microsoft would be better off giving us computers that do what we want. Personally, my Mac is still virus free, and that's without anti-virus software. I have a built in spam filter that comes free on every Mac sold, so I see very little spam...actually, I haven't seen ANY spam at all in a couple months! That includes a Yahoo address, two SBC addresses, and a .mac address. No complaints though! As far as media goes, iTunes does everything I need and has a wireless connection to our stereo system, iPhoto handles all of our photographs easily, iMovie lets us edit our camcorder movies and record the result back to our camcorder and VHS tapes, and iDVD lets us burn those movies to dvd. If I ever wanted to create music (like anyone would want to hear it), Garageband lets me do that too. I don't watch enough tv to want it on a computer monitor, and it would be even worse if I was trying to surf the web at the same time!