Thursday, May 19, 2005

Tiger at Home

I finally got Tiger loaded on my computers. Tiger is the newest version of the Macintosh operating system. I've gotta say that it is awesome. Spotlight is truly an incredible thing. This is the search function that everyone else seems to be promising, but Apple has actually delivered. Look up anything in any document on your computer. It will find it. A set of words buried in the middle of a document? No problem, Spotlight will take you there! The other piece that people have been talking about is Dashboard. This allows small pieces of software to run in the background, but you can pull them up with a click of the mouse. It's a pretty cool bit of technology. Apple is far from the first with this type of program, but I must confess something, while I think it's cool, I'm sure glad I didn't pay money for software that did the same thing. I just don't use it enough to have justified buying it alone.

Other thoughts? Mail has a huge header, but hardly anything in it. It's not a problem, just slightly annoying. I'm sure I can fix that, but at this point, it just hasn't been worth the time. All in all, I really haven't spent a lot of time poking around. All of my software works fine (Firefox works better, but since I was getting a bit annoyed with it, that just means its functioning). Safari now has built in RSS. I haven't spent much time with it. I've gotten so used to Firefox's rendering of RSS that the Safari version doesn't hold much interest for me. There's a lot more reading. All in all, I found it worth the upgrade. Of course, I got an educational discount. I'm not so sure it was worth it if I had paid full price. Some great new features, but I'm not finding myself using them enough to justify $129.