Thursday, June 23, 2005

Free Wi-Fi Precedes the Mouse

Disney has been having more than its share of trouble over the last few years, and few folks will be sad to see Eisner leave. But, he won't be the first to leave. Mickey's hometown of Orlando has concluded that their experiment with Wi-Fi (wireless internet access) isn't being used enough to justify the $1,800/month cost.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Wi-Fi be a whole lot more popular in residential areas of the city? I'd certainly use it if it was available! I'm sure there are a different set of issues to deal with, but people would love having free access at HOME. That's where they're paying for it. I go into the office and it just doesn't matter if Wi-Fi is available, because I'm (are you ready for this?) AT MY DESK!!! $1,800/month for 27 people to log on each day. They really should have ended it eleven months earlier like they were planning. What a waste!

Thanks to Jordon Cooper for the link.