Monday, November 07, 2005

We All Know It's Happening

Now there's actually public talk about Apple taking market share from Windows. From the article:

Hardly a week goes by that I don't hear from a friend or colleague with a monumental Windows problem. I tell them I'm glad to help, on one condition: Next time they buy a computer, they agree to consider a Macintosh.

That's pretty close to what I did a year ago, and now my in-laws own a Mac. Last year at Christmas it was described as "The best Christmas gift I've ever received," and that was by my father-in-law who didn't really want it. People just can't believe how easy it is to use, once I can convince them to give it a try. The problem is that most people won't even try. When I was in DC in August I had my new iBook. Someone else had a pc laptop. They wanted to burn a cd. They asked me to look at their computer and see why it wasn't working. They didn't have a cd burner. I offered to burn the cd for them. People couldn't believe it when I pulled out an ethernet cable and hooked the two together. One of the instructors for the workshop told me I couldn't connect them because I had a Mac. (can you hear me laughing out loud yet?) The fact is, the most difficult part of networking a Mac and a Windows computer is getting the Windows computer set up to share. Note that I'm not saying that that is difficult, its just the hardest part.

So, does your computer require that you constantly renew your virus updates, run AdAware, do regular maintenance? Why do you keep using it? Get a Mac and put it all behind you!