Sunday, October 24, 2004

Adoption & Pics Signup

We were signing up for pictures for a new church directory today. We were asked how many would be in the picture. Since I'm an elder, tons of folks know me. Since the person who asked is not only on staff, but also the wife of another elder, she knew how many people would be in the picture, or did she?

The fun thing about adoption is that no one ever knows when we'll show up with another child. When we adopted Isaac I was just starting to teach in an adult Sunday school class. I introduced myself and then told them that what I was about to say would be a surprise to the people who knew me, but no big deal to those who didn't. I then said that I was the father of two children. A brief pause while that settled in, and then the explanation that we had brought home our second child that week. People were shocked :) .

The person signing us up this morning knew that we are considering another adoption, thus the question, "And how many people will be in the picture?" We'll probably go in for another adoption in the spring, so we'll probably be a family of five by the time we go camping next summer. WooHoo!

BTW, if you are interested in adoption and live in Illinois or Indiana, check out our agency! If you want to know why we assume such a short turn-around in the adoption cycle, stay tuned. I'll get into the whole adoption and racism thing at some point on this blog.