Saturday, November 06, 2004

Computer purchase

So I'm sending Jill's aunt off with a recommendation for a Gateway and a disk to install Adaware, Spybot, and Firefox. While I love using Firefox, I'm very glad that I don't even need the other two. Jill's aunt thought our computer was different, and was glad that I could do everything she needed. I think she was surprised that a Mac can surf the internet and send emails with attachments (though I wasn't surprised that her current Windows computer can't send attachments, and I wasn't surprised that they've had pr0n pop up on their computer, it is Windows, after all!). They decided that they wanted a desktop, but they didn't want a Mac. Too bad, that means that they get to buy annual subscriptions to anti-virus software, and scan their computer for viruses every day and malware every week (at least). They could have gotten a computer like mine (with a combo drive instead of the superdrive that I have) for less money than they are about to spend, and they get to pay for AV on top of it. All they'll do is surf the net, do word processing, and the most basic of computer things. Oh well, it's not my money.