Thursday, April 14, 2005

Ray is Right

I was just watching a few minutes of Oprah as she was interviewing Ray Romano of Everybody Loves Raymond. Apparently the show is coming to an end, based on the screen behind Oprah and Ray (can you tell I watch it?). During the few minutes of the interview that I caught, Oprah made a comment about Ray being one of the greatest TV dads of all time. Romano replied, "That's a sad statement." Romano then commented a few seconds later that people come up to him all the time and say that his character on the show is just like their husband, brother, dad, etc. He again said that that was a sad commentary. Everyone, including Oprah, laughed. That was too bad. She should have pursued it (maybe she will before the show is over, but I'm not watching anymore). Romano is absolutely correct. I loved that show when if first came on, but after a year or two of watching Romano's character make the same stupid mistakes over and over, I quit watching. Romano's character is one in a long line of modern sitcom dads who is an oaf (Tim Taylor of Tool Time comes to mind as well). Sitcoms have become the place to make fathers look pathetic, and Romano knows it. The fact that people think of sitcom dads as being just like their dad/husband/brother is truly a sad commentary on the state of men today. For the record, I would be offended if someone compared me to Romano's character. My father is nothing like that. My brother is nothing like that. In fact, I can think of very few men I know who are like Romano's character. I'm proud to be able to say that. Thanks, Ray, for being honest. Your credibility went up a notch in my book. It's too bad you weren't able to expand on your statement while I was watching your interview.