Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Geek lunch

I had lunch with a couple geeks. One is a Microsoft geek, the other is a "let's try what looks interesting" geek. It was pretty fun. The MS geek couldn't believe it when he found out the LTWLI geek was using Mozilla. He knew that I had installed Firefox on all of our office computers. I don't think he's used anything but Internet Exploder. It's really too bad, since he could give his clients something more reliable, less vulnerable, and, well, BETTER! He's currently prepping our server for installation. He secretly (well, not so secretly since he told us this) wishes that he could play around with other operating systems. He had bought a Linux distro a while back and was working on installing it when he realized that Microsoft pays his bills, he didn't know all there was to know about it, so why try to learn something else? Ah yes, tied to MS for the money. I don't really blame him. He's far from alone in that (right Sven?). I think there's more money in supporting Microsoft than in supporting GM, Ford, and Chrysler combined. OK, maybe not, but I'd bet its not that far off.

The LTWLI geek also admitted to using Open Office. Now that left him alone. When I tried OO last year, it was really not that good. I found it clunky to use and a bit of a pain. It did open everything I threw at it from MS Office, it just wasn't as smooth for the operator. Maybe it has or will catch up, but my experience wasn't that good with it. Anyway, it was a fun lunch, and yes, we did talk about things other than computers, like politics, roofs, parents and assorted other aspects of life. It was a good lunch.