Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Outsourcing

Last night the Rockford School District voted to oursource the custodial work throughout the school district. It seems to me that the District is walking head long into a nasty teachers' strike. I have been asked if I would return to teaching next year since there will be over 300 vacancies. Why would I quit my job just to take a job that would put me on strike? The new superintendent is so focused on balancing the budget that he's forgotten that there are people who work for him. Perhaps he should take a pay cut first in order to demonstrate how seriously he takes the budget problem. That would go a long way toward winning trust among the District's employees, something of which there was very little even before last night. If your employees believe that you're out to get them, can you expect them to perform well on the job? So much for Rockford Schools improving.